Monday 15 November 2010

Sleeve Development

This post is mostly about experimenting with colour. Because there are so many little bits to my sleeve design it is possible to get a wealth of colour combinations. Below is just a snippet of the variety I came up with, each one with its own level of success. In some respect I think they all work, mainly because they are bold and inviting. However I don't want my packaging to be overwhelming, and although I would like it to stand out on a shelf, I don't want it to look ridiculous when surrounded by other quite mundane products. The screen shots below all have a different predominant colour; green, blue, orange, yellow, red and pink. I think getting that choice right will help ensure all the rest of the little bits making sense.








I decided to print off a version to make sure that my net is fully functioning, and the design doesn't look ridiculous when assembled. Luckily everything went according to plan and there were absolutely no hiccups with construction. Below is an image of the net I printed, I'm not entirely sure why I chose this colour, I just think it is the one that works the best.


After much more experimentation I have settled on the two designs that I like best, images found below. Due to the fact that I have been working so closely with this brief for such a long time I found it incredibly difficult to choose between the two. Therefore I decided to ask a fellow designer on their opinion and this is what they said. 'They both work, but have different purposes. The red and blue one is very striking and would most probably get more notice on a supermarket shelf. However the pink and blue one has stronger connotations to home baking as the pastels used seem to embody the sugary aspect.' This advice greatly helped as I had never thought about it in this way before, and after a little more deliberation I have settled on using the pink, blue and yellow design. The reason behind this decision is obviously the links to sugar, but also I feel it is not as intimidating and would ultimately sell better.





No comments:

Post a Comment