Wednesday 8 December 2010

Extend

I decided to start visualing some variation for each one of my assigned words. I started with 'extend'. I'm not sure why I chose this one first, it just seemed the most exciting. I've always been a fan of Saul Bass and therefore know how important lines are important within his work, thats why I included a lot in these ideas. The first thing I did was look up the word in the dictionary and find the correct definition, it was pretty much what I had in mind. I drew three different basic ideas; extending just the one letter, extending the whole word and extending all the letters, but in different directions and to different extents.



I then expanded the third idea from the page above. I started with the word in the centre of the page and then just didn't stop extending the lines. It turns out if you do this and then add some other adjacent lines you can create what resembles a birds eye view of a city layout. I thought this was quite an interesting idea and realised it's connections to the North by Northwest title sequence. Considering it was unintentional I was dumbfounded by what I had stumbled across.


After this I drew a few end frames and considered just a few of the many other options I had in regards to extend experimentation. Some where more successful than others, but all seem to be a little too safe. I need to start thinking bigger and crazier if I'm going to develop any further.


No comments:

Post a Comment