Sunday 14 November 2010

Top Piece of Skull

In order to use the design features in Illustrator to the best of my ability it was necessary to compose a net that would be used for both the top and bottom of my skull package. I started by obviously taking my hand rendered prototype and measuring out the dimensions. I then when on to construct a very simple rectangular version, like the one below to the right. Because the dimensions had to dead accurate I did not want to measure corner angles and the length of diagonal lines, so I used simple boxes to construct an outline, if you will. I then used this make shift creation as a guide and took the pen tool around the edges to create a definitive shape. It may seem like a long winded and confusing way to do this, but it makes sense to me, and if I where to create a complicated net using Illustrator again I would most likely use the same approach. Below is a screen shot of what I am trying to explain, with the rectangular version on the right and the finished one on the left.


Then I obviously copied the layer and flipped it vertically in order to have a complete shape. Onto this I added flaps and tabs. Below you can see the difference between certain areas of the net by me using slightly different shades of green. In the bottom right corner you will notice a couple little add ons. These are essential nets that are constructed separately but then added to the area of the main net that has no flaps. Its a complicated process, but again it makes sense to me.


Once I had my skull shaped canvas definitely designed I could then move onto what will go on the front of it. I started by designing what I thought looked like a simple skull facade. The essential aspects that had to be present included; two eyes, one nose and a mouth with quite striking teeth. Again I am not entirely sure about colour yet so I just used whatever ones I felt worked best. Below is a screen shot of my eye designs. I started with a simple circle and just expanded outwards and outwards until I had something quite detailed. I think it is pretty obvious but just incase you have never seen the object, I took inspiration from the 'Aztec Stone of the Sun'. An image of that can be found here. Once this becomes clear I think it gives a sense of clear direction to the product.


I designed the eyes separately, but then realised they would need to fit on my actual skull so I copied the images over the skull shape. I added a border around the edges to frame the face slightly, and of course added early versions of a nose and mouth. My initial thought is that there is too much colour on the first screen shot and not enough on the second. This is something that needs dealing with straight away, a happy medium must be created.


No comments:

Post a Comment