Monday 1 November 2010

Skull Cookie Cutters

Today I decided to start working on my skulls shaped cookie cutters. I was able to get my hands on a few strips of thin aluminium. They where roughly an inch wide and due to such a small thickness they were particularly malleable. I initially started by drawing out a few templates on a piece of paper that I would use for reference. However it quickly became apparent that I had ideas above my station and would have to make the cookie cutters much simpler. I began by drawing light pencil lines on the metal coloured side of the strips, this was then followed by 'scoring' the lines with a chisel and hammer. Once this was done they were already starting to take shape. I soon realised that the lengths of metal where too long and would therefore have to trimmed down, so for the time being I secured my prototypes with black tape. Below are images of the process.





Although I initially had three pieces of metal one of the cutters was not really that successful so I decided to scrap that particular model, opting for two differing prototypes. Below are images of these two cutters photographed in a kitchen environment. I'm not sure which one I prefer as the top one has more detail but the bottom one was probably my neatest attempt. In order to make a final decision I will have to actually use the cutters to make some cookies and see which is the best.



No comments:

Post a Comment