Tuesday 23 November 2010

End of Module Evaluation

What skills have you developed through this module, and how effectively do you think you have applied them?
Considering the start of the brief took place when we where handed our summer work, I would say that I have strengthened my research skills and without doubt improved the way I document them. Over the summer I tried to differentiate the methods of documentation and I feel this has helped me so much when it came to applying the research to design work. I tried to not only gather written information but visual at the same time. In terms of the time we have been back on the course my knowledge of print processes and computer programmes has rapidly increased. The range of different sessions we have had, whether on illustrator and photoshop with Mike or type layout with Graham, have helped me to become a better designer. I am now more considerate of the decisions I make and am wary if there may be any consequences of my idleness in the future. For example I now know how to get the exact colour I am working with on screen to be the one that is printed out, a skill that may seem minimal, but in fact has a major impact on my end resolutions.

What approaches to/methods of design practice have you developed and how have they informed your design development process?
Obviously this brief is entitled 'Production for Print', so I have learned all about the different aspects of design that help with the last stage in production; print. One major piece of knowledge that I have picked up on this year is the creation and use of swatches. I probably should have been using them all along but only really discovered how to use them to their optimum potential in the sessions with Mike. I think it has been vital for this brief, especially since I have been working with such limited colours to create as much variety as I can. They are so quick to create and are definitely something I will use in every single future brief.

What strengths can you identify in your work and how have/will you capitalise on these?
I feel that I have increased confidence with regards to my work. Often in crit groups I have been commended on my style and the effort I put in. This may sound like I am being boastful, however it could not be further from the truth. I have always previously doubted myself, and probably always will in some way, but I do feel like I have made a clear step forward with this brief. My only hope is that I continue with this attitude in the future, along with my new found motivation for blogging. I've realised it can be quite enjoyable when you keep on top of your work and post almost every day, rather than leaving everything until the last minute.

What weaknesses can you identify in your work and how will you address these more fully?
In the early stages of the brief the main focus was with research and all the component that surround this area. When it came to getting back in the swing of things in terms of design work, I freely admit that I fell behind. I did not know where to begin, it was almost as if I had forgotten everything I had learnt in the first year. Another reason behind this may have been a lack of motivation. I say it every time but for the next brief I truly believe that I can improve my work ethic and create pieces of design that have been thoroughly explored and analysed before being committed to print. Another area where I fall down is finding my place within the studio atmosphere. Rather than going around the room and asking for peoples opinions and advice on my work, I struggle to come up with my own feedback and perhaps this is why I pursue one idea rather than realising when something isn't working and starting over. Fingers crossed I find my place within the next brief.

Identify five things that you will do differently next time and what do you expect to gain from doing these?
  • Don't concentrate on design context, and then design practice. Instead link the two together and try to make them flow into one another more freely.
  • Don't be afraid to ask peoples opinions on my work. Realise they are only going to give me helpful criticism rather than totally rubbishing my attempts.
  • Keep a diary and time manage more effectively. If I write goals down then stick to these goals, don't lose the piece of paper they were written on and just assume I have done everything.
  • Don't be afraid to begin the design process. If I am ever struggling in the future I know to get out my A3 pad and a pen and begin to draw ideas. In other words, step away from the computer.
  • When people give you advice in crits, don't just skip over it and try as quickly as possible to move on to the next person. Make sure you understand what is being said, which in turn will help with key decisions  and could ultimately decide on the success of my final outcome.
Are there any things we could have done differently that would have benefited your progress?
Perhaps made clear from the beginning the time period we have left. This is completely my fault, but when I hear the brief is lasting 6 weeks I assume that is a lot of time, when it really isn't. The 'harsh truth' briefings actually really helped to mobilise me, and I have realised that in order to become motivated its as if I need the pressure. For example the 'Wrap it Up' brief made me realise just how much work was possible within a week. It was incredibly useful and I saw it as the time when I shifted gears into overdrive.

Attendance: 4
Punctuality: 5
Motivation: 4
Commitment: 4
Quantity of work produced: 4
Quality of work produced: 4
Contribution to the group: 3



No comments:

Post a Comment