Friday 5 November 2010

Typeface Development

In order to make a large headway with this project I figured I need to make my mind up on the typeface that I will be using. I decided early on that I want to use one of my own creations after realising that there was no typeface out there that dealt with what I was looking for. I want my typeface to look hand constructed, to have a rough quality about it and therefore fit well within my 'tribal' theme. I started by doing a few quick sketches in a notebook. I'm not sure yet if I will be using upper or lower case, or perhaps a mix of the two, so I drew out an idea for both.



The next step was then scanning these drawings into the computer to create vectorised versions. I started with upper case and was instantly struck by what I had created. I liked the boldness of the typeface and think by not including a counter on letters such as B and O it works much better.


I did the same with the lower case sketch, but this time was not as impressed. I feel the letters are too rough and the lack of rounded edges has much more of an impact than it does above. Obviously some letters look exactly the same as the upper case, I and V for example, but in terms of an overall opinion I don't like it.


I think I am going to go with the upper case alphabet for the majority of my text. Again I am not quite sure how this will look if the pt size is quite small, maybe it will be incredibly hard to read. But for big type I think it will work incredibly well.

No comments:

Post a Comment