Wednesday 3 November 2010

Aesthetics

I think it's about time I started digitally designing. I have been brainstorming rough designs by hand but think the full effect of what I am trying to communicate will only really work when presented digitally. Below are three scans of skull designs that would be used as the top piece of packaging. I think all three are a little harsh and I'm not really happy with them. After all my aim is not to scare the children, in fact quite the opposite. I will open these in illustrator and try to workshop an approach that is welcoming and friendly.




Below are early designs for a typeface and matching colour scheme. I like the idea of using all straight lines, as it fits well within the theme and it will be easier to cut out small details later on. I used the grid in Illustrator to create the type below, I'm not entirely happy with the outcome. I think it looks too disjointed and awkward, and again, not that child friendly.


Below I have edited my initial template just a little. Instead of sticking to a strict formula I made the text slightly more jaunty. I think it works well within a 'playful' frame of mind and would definitely appeal to a child slightly more. However I don't like the way the letter 'R' looks, this will have to be changed.


Below I was working on simple yet striking designs for the eyes in my skull. Again I have used straight lines for the majority, minus the circular pupil in the middle. The first image shows the idea in purely black but I felt this was far too dark so I added a range of colours in the next screen capture.


Ideas for pupils below:



Below are early ideas for a 'papel picado' inspired piece of decoration. The basic idea is that all the white that is visible would be cut out, or ideally die cut, to leave you with a quite intricate piece of Mexican decoration to hang, similarly to bunting.





No comments:

Post a Comment