Friday 12 February 2010

OUGD102 Evaluation

What skills have you developed through this module and how effectively do you think you have applied them?
This module has introduced me to several new skills through the learning device of workshops. These include image manipulation using photoshop, video compiling and editing using final cut and finally learning how to carry out several different book binding techniques. All skills came in useful, for example the photoshop sessions helped inform my double sided A6 postcards, whilst the book binding ultimately helped me to decide to make a book for my photography elective. The only new skill I didn't use was moving image based, however I can use this in future products.

What approaches to/methods of research have you developed and how have they informed your decision development process?
The 100 collection brief made sure that I would have to use different forms of research instead of just the usual secondary internet research. I compiled questionnaires and surveys, both online and hard copies. I used pure imagery and also expanded on new ways of categorising this imagery. Because the number of 100 is so high it forces you to not just carry out the minimum amount of work required, but instead you have to develop your methods and push yourself to expand on aspects that were once underdeveloped.

What strengths can you identify in your work and how have/will you capitalise on these?
I knew that I was setting myself a real challenge by having to design 100 tattoos, so therefore my time management skills have improved over the course of this module. If I told myself I needed to design 10 tattoos in a day I would not rest until it was done. Therefore my commitment over this project has probably been at the highest level it has ever been at. In terms of actual graphic design my knowledge of layout has improved and my ability to categorise and communicate has also got better.

What weaknesses can you identify in your work and how will you address these more fully?
I could put more effort in to creating more visual differentiations and compiling better and more flowing sketchbooks and design sheets that communicate my ideas more effectively. I could also think of a better way of analysing and commenting on my own work, to in turn create better final resolutions. I could also learn to take criticism better and use peoples opinions to help me become a better designer, and not be so offensive.

Identify five things that you will do differently next time and what do you expect to gain from doing these?
  • I will brainstorm more initial ideas and not jump into the design phase straight away.
  • I will ask for a wider audiences opinions on my resolutions and take their words of advice.
  • I will continue to use the different methods of research and categorising to inform the consequent work.
  • I will do a little bit of work each night, rather than leaving it to the last minute to all of my work and it ends up being rushed.
  • Not take criticism too personally and instead learn from it.

If I do all of the above hopefully I can grow as a graphic designer and become more confident.

Attendance: 4
Punctuality: 4
Motivation: 3
Commitment: 4
Quantity of work: 3
Quality of work: 3
Contribution to the group: 3

No comments:

Post a Comment