Sunday 22 November 2009

No News is Good News: Message & Interpretation

We were told to a wide variety of research relating to any article of our choice taken from a newspaper sold on Saturday 17th October. I chose an article about a young bot who killed one of his best friends whilst under the influence of a horse tranquiliser, ketamine. I chose the article because I felt there was a lot of scope and it is a subject matter that resonates with a lot of young people in this day and age. I chose to research the effects and risks that come with drug misuse and found a lot of interesting information. In our first taught session of the week we were given a very short period of time to think of ten verbs, ten adjectives, ten symbols and ten objects. At first I did not see the point of the task, but then we were told that we would have to create three very simple posters in the space of a week. One poster had to be solely image, another solely text and the last had to be a mixture of the two. I was initially stumped as to where I could take this but then I remembered an artist I have been influenced by before, Saul Bass. His work is incredibly simplistic and often uses just two to three colours. After looking at several different examples of his work I went back to the ten objects I had drawn in the first session to see what I could do with them. I discovered that I had drawn a brain and a syringe, and therefore I would try and combine the two to create an effective image based poster. I had to think of a piece of text that would fit onto the purely type poster and came up with the phrase: 'Tried Ket Yet'. It rhymed and also posed an almost rhetoric, sarcastic question, which I feel was the tone appropriate for a piece of this nature. However this couldn't be the only thing featured so I also decided to list a few of the more serious side effects associated with Ketamine misuse. After working on composition for a while I had finally designed three posters that I was happy with. Now came the difficult bit, I had to decide on the correct colour scheme to go with. Because the brief had specifically asked for the final pieces to only contain two colours, plus stock I knew that colour choice would be important, and not just an after thought. I experimented with metallics, pastels, different shades of the same colour and came across many options that I felt worked and I would have been happy using. However I could not settle on a definate combination until I came across the mixture of a sickly yellow and a bluey green. It was perfect. By hvaing the juice that was leeking from the brain an almost poisonous colour, it reinforced the message of damaging your brain even more. And the way in which it complemented the blue/green was perfect.

My final three compositions:

No comments:

Post a Comment